THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING TO APPLY WITH THE CHARLESTON PROPERTY COMPANY! PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES CAREFULLY
*PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE*
- Review our rental application process below
- Review our rental qualifications below
- Have all of your documents prepared prior to submitting your application
- Submit your application
- Be patient during the process!
- Applications for properties that are vacant will be processed immediately
- Applications for properties that are occupied will be processed at the time of the application deadline as described in each listing's description. APPLICATIONS ON OCCUPIED PROPERTIES ARE NOT APPROVED ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS - WE APPROVE BASED ON WHICH APPLICATION IS THE MOST QUALIFIED FOR THE HOME IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SOUTH CAROLINA FAIR HOUSING LAW.
- There are special circumstances in which applications on occupied properties will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis, and showings will be permitted during occupancy. If special circumstances apply, details will be outlined in the listing description.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RENTAL APPLICATION PROCESS
As mentioned above, please note that the timeline of the applications process depends on the current occupancy status of the property you are applying for. Despite a property's occupancy status, you may apply for any of our available rentals at any time.
If the property is VACANT at the time you wish to apply, you may schedule a time to view it by following the link found at the bottom of the property's listing page. Once all application requirements have been submitted, you will be notified of the application status within 2-3 business days. Once you have viewed the property and have been approved, you will have 24 hours to pay the tenant set up fee. Once this fee has been paid, you will be sent your lease for signature. You will have 48 hours to sign and pay the reservation fee. If you do not take possession of the home in accordance with the lease terms, the reservation fee will be forfeited. Once your lease term has begun and you take possession of the home, the reservation fee will be converted to the security deposit.
If the property is OCCUPIED at the time you wish to apply, you may view it as soon as it becomes vacant (unless stated otherwise in the listing description). This policy protects the privacy of our current tenants and will be extended to you if you choose to rent with us. Each occupied property's listing description will contain an application deadline which is typically within 10 days of the property becoming vacant. In order for your application to be considered, all prospective tenants must submit all application requirements by the application deadline. You will be notified of the application status within 2-3 business days after the application deadline. Unless otherwise stated in the listing description, APPLICATIONS ON OCCUPIED PROPERTIES ARE NOT APPROVED ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS - WE APPROVE BASED ON WHICH APPLICATION IS THE MOST QUALIFIED FOR THE HOME IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SOUTH CAROLINA FAIR HOUSING LAW. If your application is approved, you will be scheduled a time to view the property once it becomes vacant. Once you have viewed the property, you will have 24 hours to pay the tenant set up fee. Once this fee has been paid, you will be sent your lease for signature. You will have 48 hours to sign and pay the reservation fee. If you do not take possession of the home in accordance with the lease terms, the reservation fee will be forfeited. Once your lease term has begun and you take possession of the home, the reservation fee will be converted to the security deposit.
IN SOME CASES, MULTIPLE QUALIFIED APPLICANTS MAY BE SELECTED FOR APPROVAL, IN WHICH CASE, THOSE APPLICANTS WILL BE ASKED TO SUBMIT THEIR BEST COMPETING OFFER.
APPLICATION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Each adult (age 18 and over) who will be occupying the property MUST fill out a separate rental application - NO exceptions. Each applicant must pay a $60 non-refundable application fee. This fee is to be paid online via credit/debit card. If you are a student and do not have a source of income to meet our requirements, this application MUST be accompanied by a guarantor's application. Please note that guarantors are only accepted for undergraduate student applications. More information for guarantor applications can be found under occupancy requirements and income requirements below.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Be sure to include current and past residences with complete landlord information and contact information. All information that you provide must be accurate and truthful. Misrepresentation or providing false information will be grounds for denial of your application and all fees paid will not be refunded.
Maximum 3 unrelated adults over the age of 18 per property except for undergraduate rentals. Listing description will indicate properties that accept more than 3 unrelated adults for the purpose of undergraduate housing.
- The total household income must equal a minimum of three (3) times the monthly rent.
- Provide consecutive pay stubs for the last 60 days. Pay stubs must show your name, your company’s name, pay date, pay-period, gross and net income.
- If you are starting a new job, you may provide a signed offer letter on company letterhead. This must be on the company's letterhead and be dated and signed.
- If you are self-employed you will need to provide a copy of your most recent year’s federal income tax return.
- Please note that a signed offer letter or employment verification letter is not sufficient proof of income without either consecutive pay stubs for the last 60 days or the most recent year's tax returns.
- If you have income from another source, please provide proof of this income.
- WE CANNOT ACCEPT BANK STATEMENTS AS PROOF OF INCOME
- Unverifiable income cannot be considered.
- If you are an undergraduate student and the income requirement cannot be met, a qualified guarantor may be used to offset the income deficiency. EACH UNDERGRADUATE APPLICANT IS REQUIRED TO APPLY WITH A GUARANTOR. A guarantor's income must equal a minimum of five (5) times their applicant’s portion of the monthly rent. A guarantor must also pass our credit and background requirements.
- Guarantors are only accepted for undergraduate student applications.
At least 6 months at current place of employment and/or 2 years of employment in the same field with income verification through employer contact, tax records, pay stubs or Leave & Earning Statements.
A 600 minimum credit score will be accepted. We will pull this as part of our application process - applicants may not provide their own credit report print out. Extraordinary amounts of debt could result in higher income requirements. Lower credit score (if determined to be accepted) may result in a required contingency/credit approval fee and/or a higher deposit.
- Misdemeanors within the last 5 years or felonies within 10 years which are crimes against persons or property, convictions related to drugs, or certain sex offender crimes would be cause for denial.
- Evictions would be cause for denial.
Before you apply, please double-check the pet policy for the property you are interested in. If the property you are interested in has “pets negotiable” - please contact our office at 843-737-6034 prior to submitting an application. Any and all pets are required to be listed on the application. There is also a pet application that is required. Click here to begin the pet application. If your pets are accepted, pet fees may be charged.
CERTIFIED SERVICE ANIMALS
If you are applying with a certified service animal, please click this link and select ”reasonable request for an assistance animal" when prompted. You will then be asked to upload documentation from your 3rd party medical provider. If you have a service animal and are applying to a property that is not pet friendly, please note that the service animal application must be approved by Petscreening.com as such, in order to qualify. This process can take up to 24 hours after all required documentation is submitted.
RENTAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
THE FOLLOWING MUST BE RECEIVED FROM ALL APPLICANTS OVER THE AGE OF 18 THAT INTEND TO OCCUPY THE RENTAL BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE. If we do not receive the following documents from every prospective tenant by the application deadline, the application will not be processed. Please remember that application fees are non-refundable. Unfortunately, paper applications can not be accepted, but a computer is available in our office to process your application electronically.
Please note that proof of renters insurance will be required prior to move-in.
- Completed application
- Non-refundable application fee ($60 per adult)
- Electronic signature consenting to a credit and background check
- Valid proof of income
- Color copy of driver’s license
- Completed pet screening (if applicable)
- Email address of previous landlord and/or rent ledger document (if your current rental is professionally managed)
If your application is approved and you are sent a lease to sign, a (1) tenant setup fee of $100 will be due. Each lease will be enrolled in a mandatory HVAC filter program for $20/month.
STILL NEED HELP?